About Me

My photo
I'm a Great Northwesterner that is now loving life in the Midwest. I am a world class napper. I'm very bossy. I clearly love a good glass of Scotch. I wear aprons every chance I get.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Book Report...

Last week I read the following books:

The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon
Several years ago I read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and I really enjoyed it. But this novel took way too long to capture my full attention. I must first blame the ugly cover as a distraction to wanting to read this book. Even though everyone SAYS we shouldn't judge books by their cover - I do. It seems that books that people really like will create great covers to capture my attention and make me want to read the book and perhaps discover the meaning in the cover artwork. But TYPU had unattractive colors and made it difficult for me to want to read it.

Once I was hooked into the story and stopped being confused by all the characters and shifting time (between memories and the present) I really did enjoy the story and learning about this culture. So - I can't give this book a glowing review, but I can say that after forcing myself to carry on - I was not disappointed in finishing the book.

'A" is for Alibi by Sue Grafton
I started this series at the recommendation of my friend Reyna - and I'm sure enjoying the books. As you can see by the column on the right of the blog - I'm already enjoying the second book - and should be done with that by close of business today.

Our heroine, Kinsey Millhone, is a wonderful character and inhabits a world that is interesting and unique without being so far fetched I can't buy into the story. And while I don't want to BE Kinsey Millhone - I would love to have dinner with her.

The Scarecrow and His Servant by Phillip Pullman
This is the newest book from the author of The Golden Compass and other children's fantasy books. And yes, I, read juvenile fiction. Wanna fight about it?

This is such a fun book - the titular characters are so well developed in so few words. I love how brave and bold the Scarecrow is and I love how clever his servant is. The servant, Jack, has so many wonderful qualities - but his ability to adapt to every new situation makes him a hero for children and adults alike. I highly recommend this book to folks reading chapter books with young readers - or folks who like a fun fairy tales with great characters and plenty of adventures. But you don't have to take my word for it! Ba-dum-BUM!

The cover images come from the author websites, to which I will link once I'm at my home computer.

No comments: