About Me

My photo
I'm a Great Northwesterner that is now loving life in the Midwest. I am a world class napper. I'm very bossy. I clearly love a good glass of Scotch. I wear aprons every chance I get.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A baking experiment...

Today I made shortbread for the first time. I mean, who doesn't love shortbread, right? And it turned out great! I'm so excited and this was just so easy. Except for cleaning up - because cleaning up is always the hardest part.

If you'd like to try it your ownself...

Shortbread from The Baker's Cafe in Katonah, NY
  • 1 1b. butter, softened

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 3 cups flour

  1. Blend butter and sugar. Add flour until dough forms.

  2. Divide dough into thirds.

  3. Roll out dough onto well-floured board to about 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out with round cookie cutters or the mouth of a juice glass.

  4. Place cookies on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Edges should be slightly brown.

  5. Cool and store in airtight containers. Will stay fresh for a month or even longer!

UPDATE: this makes A LOT of shortbread. So if you just need 'some' - half these amounts...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sounds lovely! I'll need to try it. I agree, who doesn't like shortbread?