About Me

My photo
I'm a Great Northwesterner that is now loving life in the Midwest. I am a world class napper. I'm very bossy. I clearly love a good glass of Scotch. I wear aprons every chance I get.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Working!

I've been working for the last week as a classified substitute for a local school district. And I LOVE IT. It's so many good things and I will list them.

First: it's an adrenalin rush each day. I never know where I'll be working, what I'll be doing - and it's a new challenge each day! The calls come in the 5:00 a.m. hour, which IS early - but then I get cracking and on my way. Now I know what Don Berg's days are like..sort of. Really, just the part of being up before heaven's angels. Any who - I get a lot done and get to enjoy hours of the day I didn't really know existed...

Second: as a "classified" sub, I'm working in inclusion programs, resource rooms, regular classrooms, and best of all - on the playground. I am not tied to one classroom - so even if I don't like the style of a teacher or classroom - I'm not there long enough for it to become a problem. This really helps in my "no complaining" project.
Third - so far I've had several childhood dreams come true - and I've only subbed for five days!! These [nerdy] dreams have included: going to the bus barn and helping kids with disabilities get on/ride the bus; being a CROSSING GUARD; being the "duty" teacher during a whole day's worth of recess. As the crossing guard, I got to say good morning and greet the kids and stop the "you know what" right out of traffic. I did it - and with a big, dopey grin on my face. As the "duty" teacher - I got to give bathroom passes, use a whistle, and make kids "sit on the wall" if they couldn't make good choices. I've also been able to work with reading groups and even [gasp] helped a girl with her math homework...and the math help was while I was working at the middle school! Eat your heart out, BYU!
So basically - I love the life of a sub. Each day is exciting and rewarding and usually over by 3:00 p.m. This has been such a good fit for so many of my talents and strengths. The most utilized strength, so far, has been my ability to make and enforce arbitrary rules...especially on the playground. It's awesome and I love it.

2 comments:

Granelda Thudpucker said...

Sounds like the perfect gig.

Sarah Starr Alleman Smith said...

That is awesome.