About Me

My photo
I'm a Great Northwesterner that is now loving life in the Midwest. I am a world class napper. I'm very bossy. I clearly love a good glass of Scotch. I wear aprons every chance I get.

Friday, January 5, 2007

Jury Duty


This morning I reported to the Washington County Courthouse for my first ever jury duty. While I was a little bugged, it was a very exciting process, mostly. I arrived a little after 8:00a.m., which is when the courthouse opens. And they have the most rinky dink security operation going on there. I stood out in the 34 degree morning for 25 minutes waiting for my turn through the metal detector. That was not awesome.

But once past the Wonder Team Security Force I was down to join the rest of the jury pool. I really was surprised that so many people were there, but it quickly clears out as the cases are being heard. I was called in the first group - for a harassment case. The judge was very explanatory and kind of funny. The tooly lawyers asked some questions, and one of the first six jurors was dismissed and then the jury was final. Which meant that I was excused to go back to the waiting room and, well, wait to be called to another case. After another hour, I was dismissed for the day!! I left the courthouse about 11:30 a.m.

I had taken plenty of books and my laptop to keep me busy while I waited - which was good because I got caught up on my e-mail and stuff. Some dopes hadn't even brought a book with them - but there were lots of puzzles in the juror waiting room, so whew!!

I really was disappointed to not be called to serve on a jury. You'd better know that I'm going to follow up on the case I almost served on!! Gavel, gavel!

No comments: