About Me

My photo
I'm a Great Northwesterner that is now loving life in the Midwest. I am a world class napper. I'm very bossy. I clearly love a good glass of Scotch. I wear aprons every chance I get.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Overdue...

I haven't blogged in quite a while - but I guess that's because I haven't had too much that's new going on. Still working with the Camp Fire kids and I went out and taught some camp songs a few weeks ago. That was really fun - much better than sitting in an office!

Schools is really fun this quarter. I'm loving my American Drama class. I wish it were a full year long series. I'm also a director in our New Play Workshop. This means that I was directing staged readings of two short plays. I was also a director for a short play written by a young lady that was 14 years old. Our class is the "performance arm" of the Afield Playwrighting Project. The Afield plays are written by troubled young people and then the scripts come to our class and we performed them. All ten plays from this year's group were performed last week during our class on Thursday and on Friday evening. Oh my, were these plays full of great lines! Such as:

"I'd say you could come and visit me in space, but there isn't enough space in space!"

"But! I was planning to have a plan with you!"

"If you don't help me, I"m gonna suicide. I'm gonna suicide right here."

"I need your money so that I can have a place of my own and be free to be a vegetarian"

"Look, dude. You know how we've been friends and stuff."

I fully believe that all the actors should get medals for getting up and seriously saying the words these young playwrights wrote. And the playwrights did get to come and take a bow at the end of their play. It seemed like this was the first time anything these kids have done has gotten any kind of applause.

One of my other "classes" is an internship with the Every 15 minutes film shoot in Pasadena, California. My Aunt is the producer and with a few pieces of paperwork, I'm getting credit for being here in balmy SoCal. Right now it's a quiet morning and I'm watching the squirrels try to bust into the bird feeder. The new stream/pond that my aunts had installed is amazing. It's so relaxing and beautiful. I'm really excited for them.

The film shoot is tomorrow morning, and then Friday morning I am back in Portland with just enough time to change clothes and drive out to Camp Namanu for an overnight with 200 kids from our after school program. I'm the nurse for the weekend...

No comments: